Friday, March 7, 2008

Carrot Soup

While I do love making soups, I am not sad to see soup season come to an end. No, it is not completely over, but it is winding down. We turn the clocks ahead this weekend, and the days will become longer, and soon warmer. I long for the kind of day that it is so stinking hot, you can't even believe you ever craved a bowl of steaming hot soup to warm your frigid soul. (If in the middle of July I am complaining of the heat and humidity, you can remind me I said this.) I figured I might as well squeak in another soup recipe while there still is time to appreciate soup. Carrot soup is very simple and colorful. I usually make some basmati rice to add to it and make for a heartier meal, but you don't have to. 


Carrot Soup 
2 tblsp olive oil 
1 onion, chopped 
1 clove garlic, minced 
1 1/2 lbs of carrots, sliced 
1 14 oz can cannelini beans 
5 cups veggie broth 
1 lemon fresh cilantro salt and pepper to taste 
1 cup basmati rice 

Note: I added some leftover sweet potato with the carrot and that added some nice flavor. 
Note #2: I tried taking out the beans and adding a russet potato and two parsnips instead. Delicious!

1. Put rice on. 
2. Saute in soup pan for 5 minutes: olive oil, onion and garlic 
3. Add carrots, cannelini beans and veggie broth and cook for about 20 minutes, until carrots are tender. 
4. Puree soup, add the juice of the lemon, some fresh cilantro and salt and pepper 
5. Put some cooked rice in each bowl and ladle soup over it.

No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...