Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Pasta with "Sausage" and Yellow Peppers

Between being busy at work and trying to get out every night for a bike ride or a run, I find myself eating dinner later and later. So far this week I am averaging long days at work, shorter runs and rides than I planned, and a 10:00 dinner time. Monday night was a deliberately planned menu. I made Salad Nicoise, veggie style. But last night and tonight I quickly scrounged around in the pantry and fridge to find what I could toss together for a quick meal.
Tonight's throw together was a pasta dish made with flax pasta that I buy at Trader Joes. If you've ever had whole wheat pasta, and disliked it as much as I did, you are probably hesitant to try flax pasta. But, I'm here to tell you that you should give it a go because it's much better than it's unappealing cousin. The texture is very good, and it works really well with a red sauce. Of course, it's also much more nutritious than regular white pasta. I used the rotini tonight, but have used the penne in the past.
I also tried another new product tonight: Tofurkey sundried tomato and basil "sausage". I liked it. It had a spicy kick to it which I was not expecting.

Pasta with "Sausage" and Yellow Peppers
1 1/2 -ish cups of pasta
2 tblsp olive oil
2 tofurkey sausages, sliced 1/4-1/2 in. thick
1 small yellow bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
2 cups marina sauce

1. Cook pasta
2. In medium saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Saute sausage for a couple of minutes, then add pepper. Cook until sausage is lightly brown, and pepper is slightly softened.
3. Add marina sauce and simmer.
4. When pasta is cooked al dente, drain and add it to the sauce mixture. Stir it up and let it cook over low heat for a couple of minutes to let all the flavors meld.

No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...