Thursday, September 4, 2008

Blueberry Cake

When we were in Acadia a couple of weeks ago, one of the simple little pleasures we got to take advantage of was spontaneous blueberry picking. Often, when we got off our bikes on the carriage roads to check out a view, or during a hike, we would happen upon blueberry bushes. It was nice to have a tasty little treat while out and about. I never got to do any picking more involved than that, but I observed some beautiful and large blueberries of others who had. I have yet to make the blueberry and goat cheese salad combo I've been meaning to make all summer, either. But for those of you who did go picking and froze your remains, here is a recipe you've got to try. My co-worker, Kim, brought some of this blueberry cake in to work one day this summer. I nearly melted all over my cubicle when I ate it, it was so yummy. As you know, I am not a baker, but I had to ask for this recipe. I thought for sure there was going to be some super secret ingredient in it, but it's pretty basic. If you do try it, can you bring me some?

Blueberry Cake
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups granulated sugar
3 eggs
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tspn salt
2 tspn baking powder
1 cup milk
3 cups blueberries, floured
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tspn cinnamon
1/4 cup butter

1. Cream together shortening and sugar. Add eggs, beating after each.
2. Combine 3 1/2 cups flour, salt and baking powder and add alternately with milk to creamed mixture.
3. Stir in blueberries and pour batter into a greased and floured 9X13 baking pan.
4. Mix brown sugar, 1/3 c flour, cinnamon, and butter, and sprinkle over batter.
5. Bake at 350 and check after 40-45 minutes. (I think "checking" means to stick a toothpick in it, and that gives you some indication as to it's readiness. I never have toothpicks, so often try to use a fork or something and I usually flub this up.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Michele -- Actually, you should bake it in a 9x13 pan and check it at about 40-45 minutes. Sorry for any misdirection!

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...