Thursday, November 12, 2009

Risi e Bisi

Uh oh. I think I just entered a new phase of addiction. I am working from home today and took a walk up to Quebrada Bakery to get my morning coffee. I got in line, and when I was asked what I wanted, I ordered a MEDIUM coffee. This came out of nowhere. It wasn't pre-meditated. Is this how it happens for other addicts? Upon reflection, it seems my addiction phases have gone something like this:
  1. "Social" coffee drinker: I'd have one here or there, if I was with a friend having a coffee or if I felt super tired at work, or I knew I needed a second wind to be up late.
  2. Every day, aspiring coffee drinker: I got a coffee every day, but couldn't finish a small. There'd always be a 1/4 or 1/3 left in the cup, gone cold. This lasted a couple of years, I think.
  3. Wanting to quit: I decided I didn't like to be an every day coffee drinker, and I should drink green tea instead. I tried that a few times, but never got around to really quitting.
  4. Every day, full small: Most days, I finished my entire small. This has been going on for months.
  5. Medium-sized coffee drinker: Day One. I'm not even sure I'll finish it yet. It just scares me that I even ordered it.
I still don't put sugar in my coffee, so I have that going for me, and I only have one a day. But, maybe this is a sign? If I don't stop now, will I be a three a dayer in another year? Where will it end?

On a lighter note, I bought a new cookbook: Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special. It's all soups, stews and salads - my favorite things to make! This is the first recipe I've made from it. It's very simple, only a few ingredients, similar to the brown rice, greens and cannelini bean dish I make, but this is more risotto-like. It's a good option if you feel like risotto, but don't feel like all the stirring.

Risi e Bisi
1 tblspn butter
1 tblspn extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
8 cups veg broth (the tomato-less No Chicken kind)
1 tspn salt
1 cup raw arborio rice
2 cups baby peas or frozen petit pois
2 tblspns chopped fresh parsley
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and ground black pepper to taste

1. Warm butter and olive oil in a soup pot until the butter melts. Add the onions and sautee on medium heat for about 10 minutes until golden.
2. Add the stock and salt and bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, lower to a simmer, cover and cook 20 t 25 minutes until rice is tender.
3. Add the peas and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the parsley and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Serve immediately and top with remaining cheese.

No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...