Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sauteed Cabbage With a Kick

Could the birthday song be any more boring?
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday dear xxx
Happy birthday to you.
Really? That's all we could come up with? No mention of the year past or well wishes for the coming year? I just had a quick look on Wikipedia and found that the song originates from the late 180os and is based on the melody of another song, "Good Morning to You" written by a kindergarten principal. I understand that kids are most excited by birthdays and so the song should be something easy for them to learn, but it could be a tad more thought provoking. It's gotten to the point that I can hardly sing it because I find it so lame.
I cannot possibly be the only person that feels this way. And, so therefore, I hope to someday leave behind as my legacy, a new birthday song. I've done a bit of work on this, trying out some new lyrics and/ or melodies and leaving them on friends' voicemail. I have not found the winner yet, but I'll keep working on it.

If I could do this and get more people to enjoy cabbage, I think my life would be well lived. Ok, I do have a few other things in mind I'd like to accomplish, but these two things are on the list. I have brought different variations of cabbage dishes to family holidays because I figure I should start this endeavor close to home. Plus, traditional Thanksgiving and Christmas meals tend to be very startchy, so I like to bring something crisp and light to counter that. This year on Thanksgiving I had brought this dish and wanted to make sure I recorded it, since it's a quick and tasty way to enjoy some shredded cabbage.

Shredded Spiced Cabbage
1 medium onion sliced
1 tblspn grapeseed oil (or another oil good at high heat)
1 tomato chopped, or a big handful of grape tomatoes cut into quarters
1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
big pinch of red pepper chile flakes
1 small head of cabbage, cored and sliced
1 tspn of sea or himalayan salt

1. In sautee pan, heat oil, add onion and let cook for a few minutes. Then add tomato, ginger and pepper flakes. Cook for a few minutes to take some of the moisture out of the tomatoes.
2. Add cabbage (it will seem like a lot) and salt. Stir it together with the other ingredients in the pan. Cover and let cook down. You'll want to cook for 10 to 13 minutes. Do not overcook. If the pan seems dry add a couple of teaspoons of water here and there.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

I prefer it Copland style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJNcclbDG3g

Or, better yet, Stravinsky style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ7bWyXEzOs&feature=related

(Don't ask me what the cat with the duck is about...)

But if all else fails, the 30 staff members in my office will deliberately sing it in that many different keys at once for you, Charles Ives style...

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...