Monday, May 30, 2011

Marinated Cauliflower Salad

Admittedly, I've craved some strange foods in my day. Most people crave things like chocolate cake or Doritos. I get a hankering for lima beans. Lately, I find myself wanting cauliflower. A lot. Perhaps I'm making up for lost time. Cauliflower is not something I tended to buy much - very rarely actually. I'm trying to recall making anything with it in the past. I've never disliked it, just never gravitated towards it in the grocery store. And, it's not something I recall coming upon in restaurants, with the exception of Indian. I love it in curries. I had it in the form of Gobi Manchurian recently which was delectable. It's tasty when it's roasted. But now that we have the summer heat upon us, I need to find some simple summer dishes to incorporate my cauliflower fix. I found this recipe on-line that is a Spanish tapas dish. I just had some for lunch. It's very tangy and I would make it again. Marinated Cauliflower Salad
1 small head cauliflower
2 tspns lemon juice
1 hard boiled egg
1 tblspn minced parsely

Dressing
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
2 tblspns red wine vinegar
1 clove mashed or pressed garlic
1 tblspn capers (I did not have on hand, so did not use)
1 tspn paprika
1 dash cayenne pepper
salt to taste

1. Cut the large stems off of the cauliflower and break into florets. Place cauliflower in a half inch of boiling salted water and the lemon juice. Simmer, covered, for 10-12 minutes until just barely tender (do not overcook or it will fall apart).
2. Remove from the water, drain well, rinse and cool. Cut the cauliflower into more manageable bite-sized pieces if necessary. Cover with marinade and gently fold cauliflower into the marinade with a rubber spatula. Let sit for a few hours or overnight.
3. When ready to serve, crumble hard-boiled egg and parsley on top.

No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...