Monday, September 2, 2013

Sallie's Black Bean Salad

The few weeks leading up to my 2 week vacation were a bit intense and I found myself wondering if it was really worth it, also knowing that my return to work post-vacation would be similar. So as I sit here on the eve of said return, I want to record that it was, in fact, worth it. (Ask me again in 48 hours.) Two weeks vs just one week makes a really big difference in my ability to disconnect and settle into a different mode. My vacation was a great mix of everything I wanted it to be. I already mentioned in an earlier post I got to try new things. I had some time away and also some time at home to do things in the area. I visited with friends and family and met some new people. I got to linger, meander and ponder. I read a couple of books. I saw movies. I ate lots of good food (and some not so good for those of you who know the food poisoning story). I spent lots of time outdoors, biking, hiking, SUPing, walking, picnicking. I slept well. I cooked a bit. I wrote in my blog after a long hiatus.  Sure there were other things I wanted to get to and didn't, but that's OK. I feel satisfied and re-charged.

And while it feels like most of my summer whizzed by without much notice, I do have a few highlights I'd like to dwell on for a moment:
  • Attending the Robert Plant show at the Boston Pavilion with my cousin, one of her BFFs and one of my BFFs. The show way exceeded my expectations and it was great to be with people who enjoyed it as much as I did.
  • A four day bike trek in Massachusetts with Kathy discovering places in my home state I never knew existed with some other fun things to discover along the way (Turners Falls, Deerfield, Greenfield, many covered bridges, mischievous piggies, The People's Pint, cute country store with great sandwiches).
  • A super quick trip to Nantucket to visit Sallie and an exhilarating bike ride in the rain.
  • A day-trip to the Peabody Essex Museum, Gloucester and the area.

Sallie's black bean salad was a signature dish for Summer 2013 so it seems fitting to capture it here since I made it again tonight. It's cool and refreshing, perfect for hot, muggy, summer nights like tonight when you don't want to put the stove on. You could also add some feta if you were in the mood.

Black Bean Salad

Add more or less of the following according to your likes:

1 can black beans
1/2 bag frozen corn, defrosted
2-3 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 mango, peeled and diced
1 bunch scallions, chopped finely
1 avocado, diced
salt and pepper to taste
2 tspns cumin
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
The juice from one good sized lime

1. Mix all ingredients in a big bowl and blend well.

No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...