Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Salad with Delicata Squash and Lemon Vinaigrette

Oscar Wilde has been quoted as saying, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". I've mentioned before that for fun I like to try to replicate a dish I've had in a restaurant. I usually keep this endeavor to fairly simple things because my cooking skills are pretty limited. This summer I added another favorite restaurant to my list, Honey Road in Burlington, VT. It turns out that it's a cousin to one of my other faves, Sarma. In addition, one of the bartenders there used to tend bar at Highland Kitchen, another spot that makes my list. Upon learning these connections, I was hopeful, and my expectations were exceeded. Out of the many amazing dishes I had at Honey Road, this seemed like one I could assemble at home with some level of resemblance to the dish I ate at the restaurant. I ordered it because it included delicata squash (see my prior post).

Of course the presentation in the restaurant was much better. The goat cheese was somehow elegantly shmeared on the bottom of the perfectly sized bowl. I know, it doesn't seem like something could be shmeared elegantly. There's probably a more eloquent word for the technique they used. But smeared, or otherwise, it was a delicious combination. I've made it a couple of times with decent results. It's simple and captures Fall quite perfectly.


Delicata Squash Over Greens
Per salad:
Big handful of greens - mesclun mix, bibb lettuce, red leaf or arugula could work
6-8 half moons of roasted squash
6 dried sour cherries
5 small dollops of goat cheese distributed around the edge of the plate
small handful of toasted pumpkin seeds

Lemon Vinaigrette
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
3 to 4 tablespoons EVOO
1/4 teaspoon salt
fresh ground black pepper to taste

1. Assemble salad ingredients on a small plate.
2. Put all dressing ingredients in a mason jar. Cover. Shake vigorously.
3. Drizzle dressing over the top.

No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...