Wednesday, January 22, 2020

One-pot Farro and Tomatoes


I had never cooked farro before this winter and now I've made something with it pretty much every week! I'm finding it very versatile and I like the texture. As one example, I've been putting it in my minestrone soups in place of pasta because I think it holds up better vs. getting mushy. Here's another winner by Smitten Kitchen. I highly recommend following her on Instagram. Some days I'll be wondering "what should I make tonight?" and then inspiration shows up by way of a Smitten Kitchen post. Deb is also good about responding on her website when you have questions. This recipe was meant for summer when fresh tomatoes and basil are plentiful, but I adapted for winter and approached it as more of a pantry items recipe. Instead of using grape tomatoes and fresh basil, I used canned tomatoes and dried basil. I only used 2/3 can of tomatoes to try to get the same amount of tomatoes Deb used, but if you don't mind a more tomatoey version, you could just add the whole can. It's more of a side dish on its own. The next time I make it, I will add a fried egg on top and some roasted green beans on the side.
You will likely be skeptical when you put this all in the pot that it will come together in to something that is fully cooked and tastes good, but it does. You don't need to add cheese, but I think it is an important addition.


One-pot Farro and Tomatoes
2 cups water
1 cup farro
1 small to medium onion, sliced in long thin half moons
2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
2/3 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon EVOO
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
chili flakes to taste
Grated parmesan, to taste (I added 1/4 cup)

1. Place water and farro in medium saucepan or soup pot to pre-soak for about 10 minutes while you gather and prepare the other ingredients.
2. Add the tomatoes, onion, garlic, salt and chili flakes to the farro. Drizzle the oil on top. Bring the mixture to a boil, set your timer for 30 minutes, then reduce to a low simmer. Do not cover. At the end of 30 minutes check consistency. Add a bit more water and cook longer if necessary.
3. Transfer to a serving dish and top with cheese. 

No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...