Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Cucumber Elderflower Gimlet

 I ate more cucumber than usual this summer. We had one of the hottest summers in my memory. Many days tipping over 90 or 95 degrees Fahrenheit. I know this doesn't seem terribly hot compared to some other regions, but add in high humidity, a lack of good air conditioning and that starts to get pretty uncomfortable. One of the downsides of working from home is I don't get to enjoy the central air conditioning in my office. As a result, I gravitated towards cooling foods and things that didn't need any or much heat to prepare. I didn't do anything terribly exciting with cucumber. Mostly I just added it to various salads or snacked on it. In July and August I typically have my fair share of tomato cucumber salads, so that's nothing new. I ate the occasional cucumber sandwich with a bit of mayo, salt and pepper. Then, I discovered this take on a Gimlet and cucumber also made its way into my cocktail. I'm guessing there are only two or maybe three more weeks that this cocktail can act as a cool refresher on a warm summer's evening, so get to it!


Cucumber Elderflower Gimlet

For one drink:

1.5 ounces Hendrick's gin

1 ounce St. Germain liquer

1 ounce lime juice

1 2-inch x 1/4-inch piece of cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut lenghthwise, plus one slice for garnish

1. Fill a coupe glass with ice to chill.

2. Put all ingredients in a shaker with ice and shake vigorously so the cucumber breaks down a bit.

3. Dump ice from glass and strain contents of shaker into it. Garnish with cucumber slice. 


No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...