Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Green Beans with Lemon and Pine Nuts

 I've been pondering some good slogans for PR posters on the recovery process. These would be both from 1) my own experiences thus far, and 2) the advice I've been given repeatedly. You might be able to guess which ones come from each of these categories. I imagine these posters hanging in a Physical Therapy office or being flashed in front of me on my phone as a notification from a recovery app. Maybe the app is called Get Over It! The pictures behind the slogans are peaceful landscapes or vibrant and bold backdrops, depending on the message and whether it's supposed to be calming or inspirational. 

Recovery - Some days are better than others!

Recovery - How much patience do you have? Let's find out!

Recovery - Take it day by day.

Recovery - Don't overdo it!

Recovery - You need to go slow to go fast!

Recovery - It's not linear. I hope you like roller coaster rides! 

Recovery - Be sure to stick with your physical therapy even if you're feeling good!

Recovery - Enjoy the process. What's the rush?

Recovery - Don't overdo it! (Yes, I know I already mentioned this one.)

There are so many more. Maybe I'll do a Part 2. Please feel free to submit yours. I'm not knocking the advice, by the way. I know many people are providing me with cautionary tales of how they messed up their own recovery and basically saying - "don't be me" or "here is what I learned the hard way". I'm sure I'll be offering up the same advice. I'm still early in the process, so like I said, I'm anticipating a Part 2. Maybe even a trilogy, given full recovery is supposed to take up to a year. Only 11 more months to go!

I'm hoping to be able to start doing actual cooking in the next couple of weeks, more than just heating up food that was made for me, frying an egg or making toast. I think this dish could be something I start with. It's pretty simple to put together. It will be a nice side dish for the summer months. 


Lemony green beans with pine nuts

1/4 cup pine nuts

1 lb green beans, trimmed

2 tblsp garlic infused olive oil (or 2 tblspsn of olive oil and 2 cloves minced garlic - I was using this as a low FODMAP recipe and fresh garlic is not allowed.)

1 tblsp lemon zest and juice from one lemon

1. Toast pine nuts either in a dry skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring and shaking fairly constantly or in a toaster oven on 350 for 5 minutes or so. DO NOT walk away. You want these lightly toasted, but not lightly burned or they will be bitter. Set aside in a different container to cool. 

2. If you're using fresh garlic sautee that in the olive oil.

3. Boil water in a saucepan big enough to fit all the green beans and have them all submerge. Drop the green beans in the boiling water to blanch them. I like mine crispy, so only keep them in there for about 2-3 minutes. Drain the beans and run cold water over them to stop the cooking. Shake out excess water. Dry a bit with dish cloth if necessary.

4. Transfer green beans to bowl. Add grated lemon zest, olive oil and pine nuts. Toss together.


No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...