Saturday, April 17, 2021

Southern Baptist Cocktail

Due to an injury, I won't be doing many of the things I enjoy for a while as I recover, including shaking up an occasional cocktail. So, I'm pleased to report that the last one I tried was a keeper. I had been focusing more on fun garnishes and this one included one of the dehydrated lime wheels I made. Baking citrus slices slowly on low heat gives them a richer color that I think adds a sophisticated accent and also a deeper flavor. I had planned to try this out with a blood orange and think that will be a very nice touch on an Old Fashioned or a Mystery Man. Stay tuned!





Southern Baptist

2 oz Rye (I used Rittenhouse)
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
3/4 oz ginger simple syrup 
 
1. Put all ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake until chilled. 
2. Pour into a coup glass and garnish with a lime wheel. 


Ginger Simple Syrup 
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup water
1 cup sliced ginger root

1. Put the sugar and water in a sauce pan and heat on medium, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved.
2. Add ginger, bring to a light boil. Turn down heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
3. Turn off heat , cover, and let the mixture steep for about an hour.
4. Strain out solids and store liquid in a tightly covered jar in the fridge, labeled with name and date.



No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...