Saturday, April 30, 2022

White Rice in the Instant Pot

 Each time I have moved I've had to go through the arduous process of getting rice just right on the inherited stove. The last place I lived had a horrible, ancient, tiny electric stove surrounded by minimal counter space which made for many an unpleasant cooking experience. So, I was overjoyed to then move into my house with a much more updated gas range. It's not perfect, but much better than most of the stoves I've had in the past. It's good for most things, but despite trying all four burners and utilizing different pots, I can't seem to get rice to come out consistently good. Since my Instant Pot doesn't get used frequently (see past posts) I decided to give that a go, hoping to find it a special purpose. I've tried several recipes I've found on line and this one seems to be pretty close to the texture I'm looking for. You cannot skip the step of rinsing the rice and you can't do it half-heartedly. I used to rinse rice in the same fashion that I washed my hands pre-pandemic - quickly and not like I really meant it. Now I rinse for several minutes until the water goes from white to more clear. And, yes, I also now wash my hands for the recommended 20 seconds. 

Here's the original recipe:

Amy + Jacky recipe

Instant Pot White Rice

1 cup rice (or more - use exactly 1:1 ratio water to rice)

1 cup water

1/4 tspn salt

1. Put rice in a sieve and rinse under cold water for several minutes until water starts to run clear. Shake out excess water.

2. Put rice water and salt in Instant Pot. Put on cover and turn seal/vent knob to "seal"

3. Turn onto to pressure cooker, custom and set to 3 minutes. 

4. Once the pressure cook part is done and the machine beeps, let it sit and the timer run to 10 minutes. Switch seal/vent knob to "vent" to let out any additional steam. Take off cover.

5. Turn Instant Pot off so it stops cooking. Fluff rice with a fork and transfer it to a serving bowl.

Brown rice: Same process, but 15 minutes pressure cook, let it sit for 5 minutes and then open the vent to release the steam. I find taking it out of the pot right away and putting it in a serving bowl is best so it does dry out.

No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...