Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Gin and Juice

If I had to summarize June 2023 with one image, it would be a grey cloud. Very uncharacteristic for my birthday month that is usually filled with lovely dry sunny days, perfect for drinking gin. This weather pattern even followed me out to Portland, Oregon where it had been in the 80s and sunny for weeks, and let's just say while it was certainly not terrible, the shorts and cute sleeveless dress I packed in my suitcase never emerged. The grey and damp has continued into July, but now with extreme humidity. You really just have to roll with it, try to do the thing you planned to do, maybe with some adjustments and take advantage of any sunny dry patches. 

I've picked this time to make a return to mountain biking which is adding a layer of complication as I try to overcome my fear of falling and incurring another serious injury. It's a constant internal struggle of wanting to push my boundaries so I can improve while also trying to be smart and not too risky. This can be a tough balance to achieve, especially with my fear taking a prominent role in the constant decision making that happens during a trail ride. The slippery roots and rocks are making this even more complex for me since anything slick has become an instant trigger. I can only hope I'm going to feel like a champ once I'm on my new much improved mountain bike in drier conditions. 

I've also persevered in drinking gin cocktails, even on days when the weather feels more bourbon. One that I had in Portland at a cute bar called Bellwether was a sort of play on a Last Word using a locally made green herbal liqueur. I brought a bottle of the Accompani Flora Green home and made that cocktail, but didn't like it as much the second time around. It had a sour feel to it with all the citrus and sweet. I will mess with the amounts and maybe post it soon. In the meantime I needed to use up the fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, so made a Gin and Juice from a NYT recipe and will definitely make this again. I loved the balance of the bitter and sweet. Definitely good for a humid summer evening, whether clear or cloudy.

Gin and Juice

2 oz London Dry Gin (I used Broker's)

1 oz. fresh lime juice

1 1/2 oz fresh grapefruit juice

1/2 oz simple syrup

grapefruit wedge for garnish

1. Put all ingredients (other than garnish) in a mixing glass or shaker with ice. Mix well.

2. Pour into couple glass and attach grapefruit wedge to rim.

No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...