Sunday, January 20, 2013

Cashew Lemon Dip

If you've had your fill of hummus and/or you're going to a party with vegans, this is a great recipe to have on hand. You need to have a little foresight, however, because the cashews need to be soaked for 12-24 hours ahead of time. Although, my friend who gave me the recipe said she has skipped that step, added some water and it's been fine. I served this with some gluten free crackers at a party and that satisfied needs for both dairy and gluten free folks.
This was originally called Creamy Cashew Cheese, but I don't think that represents it that well. The nutritional yeast does give it a hint of a cheesy flavor,  but I almost think it's a turn-off calling it that. Maybe cashew and cheese don't go that well together? There's probably something better to call it, but I'm going with dip for now.
Once you get the base recipe you can mess with adding things in it. I put chives in it the last time I made it. I have some ground chipolte pepper and I'm thinking of trying some of that to give it a smoky flavor.

Cashew Lemon Dip
2 cups raw unsalted cashews, soaked for 2 hours
2 tblsp nutritional yeast
1 tblsp lemon juice (I added quite a bit more)
2 tsp white balsamic vinegar (I think I used cider vinegar)
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp granulated onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp white pepper

1.  Place cashews in food processor. Process about 1 minute until rough paste forms.
2. Add the water and remaining ingredients. Process 3-5 minutes, until smooth.

No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...