And while it feels like most of my summer whizzed by without much notice, I do have a few highlights I'd like to dwell on for a moment:
- Attending the Robert Plant show at the Boston Pavilion with my cousin, one of her BFFs and one of my BFFs. The show way exceeded my expectations and it was great to be with people who enjoyed it as much as I did.
- A four day bike trek in Massachusetts with Kathy discovering places in my home state I never knew existed with some other fun things to discover along the way (Turners Falls, Deerfield, Greenfield, many covered bridges, mischievous piggies, The People's Pint, cute country store with great sandwiches).
- A super quick trip to Nantucket to visit Sallie and an exhilarating bike ride in the rain.
- A day-trip to the Peabody Essex Museum, Gloucester and the area.
Sallie's black bean salad was a signature dish for Summer 2013 so it seems fitting to capture it here since I made it again tonight. It's cool and refreshing, perfect for hot, muggy, summer nights like tonight when you don't want to put the stove on. You could also add some feta if you were in the mood.
Black Bean Salad
Add more or less of the following according to your likes:
1 can black beans
1/2 bag frozen corn, defrosted
2-3 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 mango, peeled and diced
1 bunch scallions, chopped finely
1 avocado, diced
salt and pepper to taste
2 tspns cumin
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
The juice from one good sized lime
1. Mix all ingredients in a big bowl and blend well.