Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Debbie Don't Cocktail

This year, as the leaves change and the temperature begins its descent towards winter, the challenge here in New England is to figure out how to keep warm enough in the evenings to socialize outdoors. New fire pits and various kinds of heaters are popping up in friends' backyards. I am putting together a backyard socializing essentials kit to keep in my car: a hat, gloves, scarf, winter coat, camp chair and blanket, so I'm always ready and can withstand a couple of hours of the Fall night air. It's one thing being out in the daylight riding on trails; it's easy to keep warm. Sitting still under the dusky or night sky is very different. It gets cold fast when the sun starts to set. I'm sure we'll get better at this and find additional solutions as we get more practice. Here's an example of an inexpensive heating solution:

Last weekend, I included in my list of items for outside socializing all the ingredients to make a Debbie Don't. I found this recipe on cnh.photo's Instagram page. At first glance, I thought this drink sounded like an unlikely and perhaps unpleasant combination, but I was intrigued because it seemed like it had the potential to be a nice Fall themed cocktail. It works and so far has appealed to several of my friends who have tried it. Next up, I'm going to experiment with making a Hot Toddy. That seems like just the thing to drink while sitting by a fire, trying to keep warm.


 

Debbie Don't Cocktail

1 oz Resposado tequila

1 oz Averna Amaro

.75 oz fresh squeezed lime juice

.5 oz REAL maple syrup*

Do this to taste. I prefer it a little less. 

1. Put all ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake vigorously and pour into your glass of choice. 

No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...