Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Baked Mashed Potato Nests

 Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, without contest. Go do a running race or group ride in the morning, then hang out with family and eat a lot of vegetables. Perfect. This year was obviously different. I'm not tied to many traditions, so changing up the holidays doesn't upset me the way it does some people. The one lost tradition that did make me sad was not having 17 sides for my Thanksgiving meal. My cousin, Lori, and I pride ourselves in having ALL the vegetables, including white potatoes cooked at least two different ways. I did make mashed potatoes and to make myself feel better, I made quite a lot of them. I had planned to make mashed potato pancakes with the leftovers and top them with a mushroom gravy as I have in the past. But I was feeling a bit lazy and never made it to the grocery store to get mushrooms. So, instead, I baked the mashed potatoes which, surprisingly, I've never done in the past and then had some fun with the presentation. I turned them into nests! I am definitely making food nests again. (This is cute, right? Every once in a while I need to do a pandemic sanity check.)



There are lots of variations on baked mashed. I think it's a fairly flexible dish. This is the one I used. While they were baking, I sauteed some peas with shallots, thyme, white wine and a little veggie broth. Then, I lined the rim with some arugula and cherry tomatoes.

Baked Mashed

3 cups leftover mashed potatoes

1 egg

1/4 cup grated parmesan

1/4 cup plain greek yogurt

butter

Salt 

Pepper

1/2 tspn onion powder

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 and grease a casserole dish with butter.

2. Mix all ingredients, except butter in a mixing bowl and then spoon into buttered casserole dish. If you want, put small pats of butter on top and sprinkle with a little more cheese.

3. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, letting it brown on top a bit.

No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...