Tuesday, December 1, 2020

French Manahattan

 I hadn't ever had cognac before, so purchased a bottle of it to try a cocktail I came across. Since then, I've tasted a few different drinks with it and it will become one of my winter base liquors. It's warming and tasty on it's own or mixed with other ingredients. I believe the most common cocktail you'll find cognac in is a Sidecar. We tried one in our Covid Cocktail Club the other night. It's certainly a good standard to know how to make. I took the French Manhattan recipe from Drinking French (of course). I'm starting to lose track of the drinks I've tried, so you may see more posted. That way I can remember which ones I want to make again. I still have to look at recipes for most cocktails. I hope soon to at least have a handful I can make from memory. (I'm going to test myself and type the ingredients first before checking Drinking French for the recipe.) ((That didn't go well.))

If anyone has a favorite brand of cognac, do tell. I had no idea what I was doing so just picked a nice looking bottle.

French Manhattan

1 1/2 oz cognac

1  1/2 oz sweet vermouth

1/4 oz Grand Marnier or Cointreau 

1 dash orange or Angostura bitters

Cherry or orange peel to garnish

1. Put all contents except for garnish in a shaker full of ice. Shake and pour into a coupe glass. Add garnish.

No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...