Monday, December 28, 2020

The Rational Thought

After buying a bottle of cognac for the French Manhattan, I needed to find some other uses for it. Here is one from @cnh.photo's Instagram feed. I highly recommend it as a Fall or Winter drink. It also has a cool name. I did end up buying the curaçao for this, even though I originally intended to replace that with cointreau or grand mariner. I'm not sure if they'd be interchangeable in this. If I do a test using both side by side I will let you know. 

You need to plan ahead a little for this one because the cinnamon needs to steep into the water sugar mixture for a while to make the cinnamon syrup, so you don't want to be making this just before you are planning to put together a cocktail. 


The Rational Thought

1 oz VSOP cognac (he used Pierre Ferrand Ambre. I used whatever is on my shelf.)

.5 oz pear brandy (pear eau de vie)

1 oz dry curacao    

.75 oz fresh lemon juice 

1 teaspoon cinnamon simple syrup

1. Put all contents in a shaker with ice. Shake and pour into coupe or Nick & Nora glass. 


Cinnamon Simple Syrup

5 oz cane sugar

5 oz water

2 cinnamon sticks broken into pieces

1. Put all ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for a few minutes.

2. Remove from heat, cover and let sit for 6 hours.

3. Strain out solids and put liquid into a jar that has a lid. Cover and store in the fridge. 


 

No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...