Monday, December 28, 2020

The Fallback Cocktail

Typically when I make a cocktail recipe that calls for rye whiskey, I simply replace it with bourbon. It's too much to keep so many different liquors on hand, and I like bourbon. Well, I got curious and did a side by side experiment to taste the difference of rye vs whiskey in one of my go-to cocktails. At first, I was partial to the bourbon. Then, the more I sipped I started to shift. I am no expert here, but the way I would describe it is that the rye is drier and doesn't fill up your whole mouth with it's flavor, so allows the other ingredients to come through a bit better. The bourbon isn't bad, but I am convinced that rye can be the better choice for certain cocktails. Since then, I have tried a couple more with the rye and it's working for me. 

This is another one from @cnh.photo on Instagram. He provides the history and description of each drink and I highly recommend following him. I merely post here so I can find it quickly when I need it in a font size that I don't need reading glasses for.



The Fallback Cocktail

1 oz rye whiskey

1 oz aged apple brandy 

.5 oz Amaro Nonino

.5 oz sweet vermouth

2-3 dashes Peychaud's bitters

1. Put all ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake well and serve in a rocks glass or glass of your choice.

No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...