Saturday, February 27, 2021

Mystery Man Cocktail

I bought Benedictine to try the Mystery Man and then later made the Benedictine Sour that's listed in an earlier post. Benedictine has a strong herbal profile, similar to Chartreuse and this cocktail includes both! Benedictine leans more towards a licorice flavor in my opinion. Chartreuse is harder to describe. Both are equally warming to sip on a cold night. I've now heard two similarly very bad experiences about Chartreuse, so based on these cautionary tales will offer you some advice. Do not under any circumstances do many consecutive shots of this potent liqueur. Even if it is your birthday celebration and you're in France and it seems like the perfect way to be festive. You will undoubtedly regret it.

Doing shots of Chartreuse is also not a frugal endeavor. I'm running low and went to buy a bottle last night. It's up to $65. It is special though, given its backstory and it's easier to justify the expenditure once you know that there are only two Carthusian monks in the entire world that know the recipe. After  reading this article, it will allow you to feel as if you're doing something important while sipping a glass of  Chartreuse or adding it as an ingredient to your cocktail:

"The Cross is Steady While the World Turns"

This recipe was an original creation from @theweekendmixologist


Mystery Man

1 1/2 oz whiskey (I used Rittenhouse rye, the original used Benjamin Chapman Irish Whiskey and this may be important)

1/2 oz orange Liqueur (I used Cointreau)

1/2 oz Benedictine

1/4 oz Yellow Chartreuse

1 dash Aromatic bitters (I used Angostura)

Twist of orange

1. Pour all contents in a mixing glass. Add ice and stir. 

2. Strain into a heavy bottomed whiskey tumbler. Garnish with an orange peel. 

No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...