Saturday, February 27, 2021

Amaro Daiquiri

Taking quality pictures of food and cocktails is very difficult. I think I am getting better at snapping a food photo that is decent, but my cocktail pictures are still not worthy of posting anywhere. I still do it, though, just to keep a record of things. Much of the challenge comes with the lighting. I can get many of my food shots in natural lighting, but most of my cocktail making happens after the sun has set, especially this time of year. The other challenge is the setting. I have no place within my house that's a good backdrop for a photo. I'll keep taking note of good photos I find on Instagram and see if I can't improve on this somewhat. 

This is an especially bad photo. It's particularly frustrating because it's in glassware that was recently gifted to me as an out-of-the blue surprised by one of my closest friends. It lifted my spirits to get them in the mail and I looked forward to my first cocktail using them. I cannot for the life of me get a picture that captures the pretty etchings on these glasses. I will keep trying. I'm thinking an Aviation in outdoor lighting might do the trick.

Despite the very bad photo, I wanted to log this anyway. I think of this as a sophisticated take on a daiquiri and I think it will come in handy when I have my previously mentioned tiki bar. I got this from @goatandrabbitkc on Instagram. It caught my eye because it included Falernum which I bought to try something many months ago and needed another use for it.

Also, I'm taking requests for what to name my backyard libation respite. 


Amaro Daiquiri

1 oz rum

1 oz Amaro (the original used Montenegro; I used Nonino)

1 oz freshly squeezed lime juice

1/2 oz Falernum (you could use simple syrup if you don't have this)

1. Put all ingredients in a shaker with ice. Shake until very cold.

2. Pour into a coupe or other glass of your choice. Garnish with a thinly slice lime wheel. 


No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...