Saturday, February 27, 2021

Saint Benedictine Sour

 I've been trying lots of cocktails over the last many months and not doing a great job of keeping track of them to remember what I've made, what I've liked, what I haven't and if I do like a cocktail, what might be a good occasion for it. Given that we are likely in for another summer of not being able to sit at a bar to order a cocktail from a very skilled bartender, it looks like I'm going to need to both fend for myself and offer others an outdoor cocktail experience. I have to replace my fence this spring and along with that will come some landscaping and a backyard re-design. If everything goes as planned and budget allows, I will also be getting my own backyard tiki bar. I've been talking about this for a while, even in the Beforetimes and I'm hopeful it will happen. I'm already talking with my trusted woodworker and friend, and he has some ideas. Here's one possible take on it.


So, before then I need to get my bartending skills in order. If I have more than a few people over, I'd need to come up with a signature drink for the evening and pre-make a batch so I don't spend my whole evening shaking up cocktails. I want to be able to sit back around the fire and relax with my guests. But with 1-3 people, I'd like to be able to cater to their needs and come up with just the right cocktail based on their mood and tastes. Right now I only know a handful of cocktails off the top of my head. I'm not sure what the right approach is here. Target a dozen cocktails that I know well which include a mix of base liquors? 

Personally I like sours. It's not all I want to drink, but if I want something a little on the sweeter side, playful and not as liquor forward, it tends to be the right thing. I am also in favor of using fresh herbs and I like strong herbal liqueurs like Chartreuse and I've now added Benedictine to the mix. This was a drink I enjoyed and will want to make again.



Saint Benedictine Sour

2 ounces Bourbon

1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice

3/4 ounce Benedictine

1/4 ounce simple syrup

1. Put all contents into a shaker with ice and shake until very cold.

2. Pour into a coupe or sour glass and garnish with a thinly slice lemon wheel.

No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...