Monday, December 28, 2020

Sage Sour

The holidays have been weird and a bit sad. Mostly I'm just pretending it's just any other day and going about my business. On Christmas Eve, I got together for Zoom cocktails with a longtime friend and her husband. We had a lot of laughs and tried a cocktail she suggested that she had seen on TV the night before. Thankfully she caught me while I was at the grocery store and told me to buy sage. That's not a fresh herb I usually keep on hand and I would not have wanted to miss out on this. I love a good sour and this inspires me to explore more simple syrups infused with herbs. My friend Catherine has made one with mint that was very nice. I think that would work well in this cocktail. I'm going to try some different variations on that and report back. This is a more sugary concoction than I usually go for with both the simple syrup and the maple syrup, but the sour aspect tempers it enough that it doesn't taste overly sweet to me. I did cut back a little on the maple syrup, but I'm going to post the original recipe.
First make the sage simple syrup 
Use a 1:1 ratio of sugar to water. I can never get through a whole cup before the syrup goes bad, so have started using only a half cup. 
    1/2 cup water 
    1/2 cup cane sugar 
    1/4 cup firmly packed sage leave

1. In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved. 
2. Remove from the heat and let it all sit for about 30 minutes. 
3. Strain the liquids using a mesh strainer into a mason jar or another type of glass container with a tight fitting lid. Use the back of a spoon to press the liquid contents from the leaves. Discard the leaves. 
4. Cover the jar and put in the fridge to chill. 

 Shake the cocktail 
    1 1/2 oz bourbon or rye whiskey 
    1 1/2 oz freshly squeezed lime juice 
    1/2 oz sage simple syrup 
    1/2 oz good quality maple syrup 

1. Put all ingredients into a shaker with ice. Shake until cold. 
2. Pour into Nick & Nora glass. Garnish with a leaf of sage.

No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...