Monday, December 28, 2020

Stir Fried Broccoli

When I first became vegetarian over 30 years ago, I didn't cook at all really. I just ate around whatever was being presented to me. When I did start to cook, stir fry seemed like the obvious thing, and if my memory serves me correctly there was a stir fry craze happening at the time. Today's instant pot was the wok of that time as far as cooking trends go. I never got very good at stir fries. Over-cooked or not cooked enough. The sauce not quite right. I don't remember that well, but I largely just gave up on them. Plus, back then the vegetarian offerings on menus were very limited. As I've mentioned before, one can only eat so much mediocre stir fry, veggie burgers or pasta primavera in a lifetime. They are all dishes I grew extremely tired of and have largely avoided for many years now.

In the same vein, I've never perfected sauted or stir-fried broccoli. It seems like it should be a staple and something I can do in my sleep. When I have a side of broccoli cooked to just the right shade of green and crispness, it's noticeable to me. It seems it's the type of food that is too easily over or undercooked. And, raw? No thank you. Raw broccoli or cauliflower on a crudite plate is just not enjoyable. I eat it here or there, but only if there is nothing else available.

I've tried blanching the broccoli before stir-frying it but that is a) a pain. You need to use a pot, a steamer and a pan just to make a simple side dish. b) I rarely get it right and end up over-cooking it. With just stir-frying it often seems to be a bit undercooked. I admit I'm probably making a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be, but it is something I'd like to get just right because it does make a nice dish or even the main part of a meal. I was having a strong craving for broccoli yesterday, so tried this and think it might be just the thing. If I didn't want the asian flavoring, I think doing it with just the garlic and broth would also work just fine. 


Ginger stir-fried broccoli

1 large broccoli crown or 2 smaller ones

1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger

1 clove minced garlic

1/2 cup veggie broth (for this I use a half tspn of the jarred kind and boiling water)

1 tablespoon tamari or Bragg's liquid aminos

1 tablespoon sesame oil 

canola or peanut oil

chili flakes or toasted sesame seeds for garnish

1. Mix the broth, tamari and sesame oil in a small prep bowl and place in easy reach to the stove.

2. Heat the canola or peanut oil over medium high heat in a sauté pan that has a cover. 

3. Add the broccoli and toss in the oil for about a minute.

4. Clear a spot in the center of the pan and add the garlic, ginger, and a little more oil Stir and saute for under a minute, just so it becomes fragrant.

5. Add the broth mixture to the pan, bring to a simmer, lower the heat and cover. Steam for about 2 minutes. 

6. Remove with a slotted spoon. If you want, you could put in a serving bowl and add the remaining liquid from the pan. This would be good if serving it with rice. I didn't find it necessary eating it on it's own. Garnish with chili flakes for sesame seeds if you want.



No comments:

The Negroni Cocktail

I'm trying to remember my first Negroni experience, but can't call to mind my initial impressions. To the best of my memory, I backe...